Monday 8 July 2013

Sydney from Top to Tail – the inspiration of GoogleMaps

I wonder how many great (modern) journeys have been inspired by a GoogleMaps search. One afternoon I was scrolling along the North Beaches, intently studying the coastline for sections that may be suitable for a Molokai training session on a typical wintery south-westerly day.

I came across a number of unusual features I’d never noticed – Bungan Beach tucked between Mona Vale and Newport, a lagoon at Dee Why, a boat harbour at Palm Beach, rock pools at the south end of each beach, lookouts, reserves and a cave. It fascinated me that there were so many locations that I hadn’t visited, despite travelling up that way many many times for paddling.

Recently I’ve been reading Dan K’s book, The Idle Traveller – the Art of Slow Travel. One of his early chapters recommends travelling at home, and describes a walk he takes through the farmlands and forests near his home in the UK, where he was able to appreciate in detail an area that he’d previous rushed past in a car. I clicked open another tab on Google and searched, “Sydney Coast Walk”…

Also on my mind has been the upcoming 2 week long walk that Billy and I are planning along a section of the Appalachian Trail in Vermont. We’re hoping to cover up to 400km and whilst the journey is exciting to think about and plan, there is a part of me that’s a little bit nervous about covering that distance.

The three ideas intersected…
  • It’s easy enough to paddle the 20 Beaches in an afternoon
  • I’d like to get in some hiking training before we leave in a fortnight
  • I know the southern side of Sydney quite well, but find it difficult to connect the features of the Northern Beaches…and there are a lot of interesting sounding places to explore.
An idea was born. Sydney from top to tail – from Barrenjoey to La Perouse. In 3 days between Molokai training sessions. Walking and public transport only.

No comments:

Post a Comment